The Miss America pageant took place this past Sunday, and we can’t think of a better group of women to look to for prom dress inspiration. Every contestant was head-to-toe stunning, and it was easy to tell that a lot of time and thought that went into choosing their wardrobes –especially their evening gowns.
From necklines to colors, we’re recapping a few of our favorite looks, and the gowns that are sure to inspire a few 2015 prom trends.
1. The white dress. White gowns were easily the hottest trend at the pageant, with girl after girl taking the stage in ivory. The dresses proved once and for all that white gowns don’t have to be reserved for weddings, too: The dresses had cuts (fitted, v-neck, or sheath-styles) and embellishments (like oversized rhinestones) that made them feel pageant (or prom!) appropriate.
2. The V-neck. After years of strapless dresses being the go-to style, if the Miss America pageant has anything to say about it, straps are back for 2015, and especially V-neck styles.
3. Metallics. Metallic dresses can be tough to pull off, but the ladies of Miss America showed us how to do it right. The key to looking as good in a metallic dress: choose one that is two to three shades lighter or darker than your skin tone to prevent looking washed out. Dark skin tones typically look best in silver and shimmering champagne colored dresses, while pale skin tones can go for golds.
4. Simplicity. Though the tendency for pageant constants is to go over-the-top with the embellishments, we saw a number of dresses that were simple, and simply stunning. Take Miss Iowa, Aly Olson, whose elegantly cut dress allowed the emerald color to shine.
5. Long Sleeves. Miss America herself, Kira Kazantsev, rocked the trend, and other contestants wore long-sleeved gowns throughout the night.
Which of these trends is your favorite? Would you wear any of them to prom 2015?